Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Remembering Shiyan...part 2

Once the Shiyan line-up was settled we began rehearsing.

For a new band with cheap equipment, we were pretty damn ambitious. Songs included:

I Remember You - Skid Row
It's So Easy - Guns N Roses
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
...just to name a few of our crazier choices!!

I have really good memories of this time - I remember jamming on drums with Matt Lane to songs like The Song Remains the Same. We had a lot of fun and laughs and even got some gigs.

Places we managed to play included:

Steve Mason's birthday party
The Victoria Hotel (double-bill with legendary Bathurst band, Wicked*)
Kelso Sports Club ??? (I think that was the name!)
Heath Murphy's birthday party at Katoomba Masonic Hall - we slept overnight in Brett's car!!

There may be others but I am having trouble remembering.

The great thing about Shiyan is that we were really into writing original songs. Brett in particular was really good at coming up with really nice chord progressions, and he put lyrics to his own tunes as well. He was a massive inspiration to me in those early days, and we eventually managed to put together a demo of four songs. The names of the tunes were:

Youth Flight - a frantic, metallic rocker
Sunset Masquerade - a whimsical, acoustic & electric fantasy tune
Before the Dawn - from one of Brett's chord progressions with lyrics
...and one other tune the name of which I can't recall off the top of my head.

Listen to 'Sunset Masquerade' here.

The demo was recorded at Chris McCusker's studio in Raglan - which was very convenient for me as all I had to do was walk to the studio! It was such a great experience, being in a proper studio set up, putting down our songs on tape for the first time. Unfortunately I wasn't too impressed with the mix, but still it was a good time had by all.

Shiyan was a really fun band to be in, but as with all my bands, as soon as we recorded our demo we split up! But Brett and I kept the flame alive, and soon we were fortunate enough to get into an even bigger and better band...

Thanks for the memories, guys - it will always be a happy memory for me being in Shiyan.
----------------------------------------------------------------

* Wicked, later called Black Rain, were a well-known Bathurst band who gigged a lot. Their members were Craig Glawson (bass), Julian Casey (guitar), Damien Casey (drums), and lead singer Kelly Peck.

At one time I was in a band with Jules and Damien, we played songs from the Doors amongst other things. We had one gig at a hotel in Orange which went fairly well, but it didn't last. Jules was an excellent guitarist, though, professional and great to work with, and his brother Damien was one of the best drummers that I knew.

Edit: I actually found a photo of the guys from Black Rain - it seems to be the one and only picture of them out there!!! Features the vocalist, Kelly, and bassist Craig.


With thanks to www.flickr.com/photos/d_neese/

No comments:

Post a Comment